For the month of September, we are adding a new beverage to our lineup of classic fall recipes. This recipe is inspired by the delicious butterscotch brownies that my mom makes. Made with butterscotch chips and brown sugar instead of chocolate, they are crispy on the outside and taste like gooey brown sugar on the inside. They’re one of my favorite desserts that my mom made growing up. When I was trying to come up with a new fall beverage, the memory of these warm butterscotch brownies popped into my head and I knew they would make a delicious latte as well. For this recipe, I deviated from my mom’s brownies a little bit and added a hint of chocolate, but the butterscotch is the star of this latte. It’s the perfect way to enjoy a decadent treat on a cold fall morning.
- 3oz Brewed Som’s Café Mokka Java (ask for it with an espresso grind in the notes). You can get that here: https://somscafe.com/product/mokka-java-2/
- Steamed and frothed milk
- 2 tsp. Mrs. Richard’s Butterscotch Dessert Sauce
- ½ tsp. Hershey’s Chocolate syrup
- Whipped Cream
- A Crumbled Heath Bar or pre crumbled Heath pieces
- The base of this drink is our Basic Café Latte recipe that was featured on our blog here: https://somscafe.com/how-to-make-a-latte-cappuccino-at-home/. If you haven’t read the blog post or watched the video with the steps to making a basic latte, I would recommend doing so to learn the steps for brewing espresso and frothing milk at home. You can also watch our video here: https://youtu.be/kSQ6UYHD1Vo
- To start the Butterscotch Brownie Latte, you will add 2tsp. of Mrs. Richard’s Butterscotch to the bottom of a 16oz mug. You can usually find some type of butterscotch ice cream topping or sauce wherever the ice cream toppings are at the grocery store, and if you use can’t find the Mrs. Richard’s brand, any brand will work.
- Next, add ½ tsp. Hershey Syrup and 3oz brewed espresso. Stir together the sauce and espresso.
- Add steamed milk up to ½ in. below the rim of the mug, holding back any foam.
- Stir one more time to make sure all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Top the Butterscotch Brownie Latte with whipped cream, Heath toffee pieces and a drizzle of butterscotch sauce.