I love this ginger turmeric tea latte-it is very unique with the spiciness of the ginger and the pungent savory flavor of turmeric. When I first tried this tea it was a little too strong for me but when I put it with the frothy steamed oat milk-wow!! The milk balanced the strong flavors and the turmeric made me feel like I had an ibuprofen and took the edge off of the achiness of standing on my feet all day in the café. I’m going to give you the secrets of this delicious, unique, and healthy beverage.
- Ginger Turmeric Tea. You can get our tea at this listing: https://somscafe.com/product/ginger-turmeric/
- Oat milk (or your favorite milk)
- Immersion blender (other tips for frothing the milk below)
- Kitchen Thermometer
- Sweetener of choice
- Turn your filtered water on to heat to 190°, which is a little before a full boil if you don’t have a thermometer.
- I really like this particular latte with oat milk. It is really frothy and has a hint of natural sweetness from the oats to balance out the spiciness of the ginger turmeric. You can also use regular milk and I think coconut milk would also be delicious but it may mask the flavor of the tea some. Start by putting about 8 oz. of oat milk in a small sauce pan and turning the burner on medium. Put the timer on 6 minutes to keep from burning the milk. When the temperature of the milk reaches 140° it is ready to be frothed (directions below).
- Make the standard latte tea concentrate. For detailed instructions on the basic tea latte, see our link here https://somscafe.com/how-to-make-a-tea-latte/. Here is a summary for this beverage. Use between 1.5-2 tsp. of ginger turmeric tea per 8oz. For instance if I have a 16 oz. mug I will scoop 3tsp. of tea into my infuser.
- When the water reaches 190°, warm the cup by putting a little of the hot water in the cup, swishing it around the cup, then dumping it out.
- Fill the cup 1/3 full with the hot water and put the tea into the water. Cover the mug with a saucer and let it steep for 4 minutes with a timer on.
- Once the tea is steeped for the full time, use a spoon to agitate the leaves and get the excess tea out of the leaves for the full flavor. Cover the tea with the lid to keep it warm until your milk is frothed.
- To froth the milk, I use an immersion blender and froth it for @1 minute until a nice foam appears. You can also use a blender, a french press, or a whisk to froth the milk.
- Pour the liquid milk into your cup. Add any sweetener that you prefer. I personally like agave with this one. Finally scoop out the foam on the top and enjoy!
Get tea and recipes like this every month with our monthly tea subscription: https://somscafe.com/product/monthly-tea/. It’s more than just the tea, it’s an experience.