Many people have discovered how delicious an iced chai tea latte is, but did you know that you can make an iced latte out of many other tea flavors and without all the sugar and artificial flavors in a lot of the chai tea bases? I’m going to teach you how to make an iced tea latte out of a tea concentrate that will work with many different teas.
For the purposes of this blog, we will use my custom blended Blueberry Coffee Cake Tea because it is right in the midst of blueberry season but I’ll share some other flavor suggestions at the end. This custom blended tea was inspired by my 9 year old when he discovered that it was blueberry season and we have really been LOVING this at home so I thought I’d share it with you. This tea is a custom blend of fruit, rooibos, and black teas with plump, summer blueberry flavor highlighted by cinnamon and pecan. It has a minimal amount of caffeine. If you want the decaf version, our Blueberry Muffin tea is very comparable. You can order it here: https://somscafe.com/product/blueberry-coffee-cake-tea/ .
- Tea flavor of choice that mixes well with milk
- Milk of choice
- Sweetener of choice
- Complimentary flavors like cinnamon or nutmeg
- Create an iced tea concentrate. We have previously written a blog that gives more detail about how to make a proper iced tea concentrate here: https://somscafe.com/how-to-make-iced-tea/. For the sake of this blog I’m going to share my favorite way to make the iced tea concentrate that will work for any tea. I will either make a pot of tea the day before and let it sit out over night and use it the next day over ice, or I will cold brew the tea the night before by putting 1.5-2 tsp. of loose leaf tea per cup into a mason jar and fill it half full of water. For these iced tea lattes I use my 3 cup mason jar and will put in 4-5 tsp of loose leaf tea and let it steep 12 hours or more in the fridge.
- Squish the leaves to get all of the tea flavor out of the leaves and into your drink. If I have a tea bag, I use our tea squeezers which you can get here: https://somscafe.com/product/tea-bag-squeezer/ . If I’m using an infuser, I just squish the leaves with a spoon.
- Fill your cup up with ice but leave room for your milk of choice.
- Add any sweeteners and additional flavors like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla, chocolate, etc.
- Fill it up with milk.
- If it is in a cup with a lid like the mason jar, then close the lid and shake it up. If it is not then you can pour it in between two cups to get it nice and frothy.
Other Flavor Suggestions
- Creme Brulee Pu’erh is one of our Som’s Cafe team favorites especially with a little bit of caramel syrup.
- Vanilla Rooibos
- Caramel Rooibos
- Ginger Peach
- Island Coconut
- Ginger Turmeric
- Som’s Chai
- Toasted Almond Tart (decaf)
- Blueberry Muffin (decaf)
- Buckingham Palace Garden Party
- Earl Grey with a little vanilla
- Vanilla Pomegranate
- Carrot Cake Tea
- Lemon Pound Cake
- Thai Lemon Ginger (decaf)
- Cherry Rose
- Find these teas here: https://somscafe.com/product-category/teas/