Our barista, Lisa, went to the UK and brought back this recipe from Ireland. In Ireland she was served Irish Breakfast tea with brown sugar and milk inspiring my favorite March beverage, the Irish Breakfast Tea Latte.
Irish Breakfast tea is a pure black tea made from Assam and it is stronger than traditional English Breakfast tea with a rich malty flavor and deep red color. This malty flavor is mellowed by the brown sugar and cream from the milk in this latte. Assam tea comes from the Assam region in northeast India bordering the northern Himalayan mountains and the Deccan plateau. This tea is full of antioxidants with a modest amount of caffeine to promote energy and clarity. You can get our Irish breakfast here: https://somscafe.com/product/irish-breakfast/
- Irish Breakfast Tea
- Brown Sugar
For detailed instructions for how to make a tea latte, see our previous post: https://somscafe.com/how-to-make-a-tea-latte/. Here are the summary instructions for the Irish Breakfast Latte:
- Bring your water to a full boil and prepare your tea. Double the amount of normal tea for a latte to get the strength to cut through the milk. Use 2tsp of Irish Breakfast Tea per 8oz. Most American mugs will need 3tsp of tea.
- Once tea is boiled, heat up your cup or pot by swishing a little hot water in it and pouring it out. For a latte you will make a tea concentrate, so just fill your mug 1/3 full of water. You will fill it the rest of the way up with the steamed milk after you have made your tea concentrate.
- Steep your tea in the mug covered with a saucer for 3-5 minutes.
- Heat your milk for @5-6 minutes until it is @140°. Use a hand blender, French press, or whisk to froth the milk.
- Once tea is steeped squish the tea leaves to get the concentrated liquid into your cup.
- Put the desired amount of brown sugar into the tea, pour in the steamed milk and stir well.
- Top with the frothed steamed milk.
We hope you enjoy this delicious St. Patrick’s Day latte. You can get recipes and tips like this, along with the teas, every month with our Tea Monthly Subscription (or coffee) on sale for St. Patty’s Day for just $9.95/month: https://somscafe.com/?s=monthly+subscription