As a mom of three boys May the 4th, a special day to celebrate Star Wars, has become a special occasion in our home. Our barista Lisa is also a huge Star Wars fan so she came up with two original drinks for May the 4th for all the star wars fans out there.
Luke’s Blue Milk Tea Latte
Luke drank Blue Milk in Star Wars, A New Hope. Blue Milk is also known as Banther Milk or Tatooine Milk and it comes from the glands of a female Banther. To get Blue Milk you don’t have to go all the way to Tatooine. I’m going to show you how to make it with ingredients from home. We also made a video to also help you: https://youtu.be/sle6_YqNTcQ
- Blueberry Muffin Rooibos Tea. It is available for local pick up or shipping here: https://somscafe.com/product/blueberry-muffin-rooibos-tea/
- Milk of Choice
- Blue Food Coloring
- Sweetener of Choice
- Mason Jar
This is the Way
- My favorite way to make cold brewed iced tea lattes is to put a concentrated amount of the tea into the tea infuser and let it cold brew in the fridge over night. It is super fast and easy and you can just pull it out ready to drink the next day. It is best to let it brew for @8-12 hours. If you don’t have that long, boil your water and follow the instructions below, then cool your tea down with a cup full of ice and cold milk.
- To make a tea concentrate, use twice as much tea as a normal cup, which is 2 tsp tea/8oz. water. To get the flavor to cut through the milk you have to make a stronger tea. You can add more tea to make it even stronger if you find that the tea flavor is weak.
- Also a latte should be around one-third water and two-thirds milk. If you are cold brewing it, just fill up your mason jar 1/3rd of the way with water and steep it in that reduced amount. If you are making it quickly, just fill your mug ⅓ full of water and steep the tea in the smaller amount of water to make a tea concentrate. Don’t forget to cover your mug with a saucer and let it steep for 4 minutes.
- Once your tea concentrate has finished, agitate the leaves to get the tea out of the infuser and into your cup.
- Fill your cup with ice to your preference.
- Add your favorite milk and preferred sweetener.
- Add a drop of blue food coloring.
- Put the lid on tightly and shake it up until it is nice and frothy.
“Han Shot First” Coffee
This May the 4th coffee drink is a reference to Han Solo shooting Greedo first in the Mos Eisley Cantina in A New Hope. It is a combination of a traditional Vietnamese iced coffee with an added shot of espresso to cut down on the sweetness and a Dalgona whipped coffee trend that became popular last year. It’s a more caffeinated version of the Dalgona and replaces the milk with sweetened condensed milk, so its basically a Vietnamese iced coffee that’s topped with Dalgona whipped coffee. Here is a video to help you: https://youtu.be/-rqqV3L4RSM
- 2 oz brewed Som’s Cafe Espresso
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Tbsp. Nescafe instant coffee
- 2 Tbsp. White granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. hot water
This is the Way
- Pour 1/2 can of sweetened condensed milk into the bottom of a clear glass.
- Add 2oz brewed Som’s Cafe Espresso. The espresso will sit on top of the sweetened condensed milk to create a layered effect. Add ice to cool the espresso.
- To make Dalgona coffee topping: Add 2Tbsp. instant coffee, 2Tbsp. granulated sugar and 2 Tbsp. hot water to a small mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, blend until the foam starts to turn a light brown color and has a stiff consistency.
- Top with Dalgona whipped coffee and serve.