For the month of December, we are featuring a classic seasonal holiday favorite, the Peppermint Mocha. At Som’s Café, we made this drink in a traditional dark chocolate version as well as a white chocolate version that tastes like peppermint bark. You can make either one, but dark or milk chocolate sauce might be easier to find than white chocolate. A good substitution for this drink would be to use a hot chocolate mix of whatever flavor chocolate you like instead of a chocolate sauce. You can use dark, milk or white hot chocolate mix and you can even use a mix that is already flavored with peppermint.
There are also other ways to add peppermint to your mocha. Peppermint syrup is available online, and at World Market and other retail stores during the holiday season. Another method is to crush peppermint candy canes and melt them into the hot milk and espresso. I have tried all of these methods and they all work well to make a peppermint mocha. Before making this beverage, you might want to read our blog post “How to make a Basic Café Latte at Home” or watch our YouTube video in this post https://somscafe.com/how-to-make-a-latte-cappuccino-at-home/ . Once you have learned the basics of brewing espresso and frothing milk at home, you are ready to begin. The recipe is as follows:
- 3 oz brewed Som’s Mokka Java (order that here: https://somscafe.com/product/mokka-java-2/)
- 1oz chocolate sauce or 1 packet hot chocolate mix (about 4 tsp.)
- 1 oz peppermint syrup (if you are using peppermint flavored hot chocolate mix or peppermint candy pieces then you can leave this out)
- steamed and frothed milk
- whipped cream or marshmallows
- crushed peppermint candy pieces
- Add 3oz brewed Mokka Java to a 16oz mug.
- If you are using chocolate sauce and peppermint syrup, add these ingredients and stir to incorporate into the brewed Mokka Java.
- Add the steamed milk, while holding back the foam, up to about 1/2 in. below the rim of the mug.
- If you are using hot chocolate mix or peppermint candy pieces to flavor your mocha.
- Add steamed milk until the mug is about halfway full after you add the brewed Mokka Java.
- Stir in the hot chocolate mix and/or peppermint candy pieces. Make sure to stir until all the clumps of mix are incorporated and the pieces of candy are melted.
- Fill the mug up to about 1/2 in. below the rim of the mug.
- For either method, you can top with whipped cream or marshmallows (or both) and sprinkle peppermint candy pieces on top. Serve and enjoy!